The Cree LR6 – It Really Is That Good!

I have posted before on my excitement about the Cree LR6 LED light. After lots of research I became about 98% convinced that it was the right choice for beautiful energy efficient light. But I held back on the remaining 2% of excitement until I could actually see it in action in our house.

I’m happy to report I have now experienced it firsthand, and the remaining 2% of excitement that was “up for grabs” is now fulfilled. This truly is a beautiful light and should be a no-brainer for anyone building a new home (as we are) and a near-no-brainer for anyone with the intention of staying in their existing home for 3+ years. (The lights are an easy retrofit in most cases.)

The light truly is beautiful. Forget about the preconceptions you might have about the sterile LED flashlight quality. The light from the LR6 is warm and room-filling. Our electrician and builder were both very impressed. The one thing that caught their attention was the fact that when the lights were fully dimmed they appeared properly dimmed where it mattered, but when you looked at the light source itself it still seemed bright. That’s no big deal … just something different.

Aesthetic beauty is one thing, and certainly very important. But the beautiful part for me is the energy saving! We have 44 recessed lights in our new house, I was able to get a quantity discount (and free shipping) from wamhomecenter.com to bring the unit price down to about $80 each. Each bulb takes just 12 watts of energy (vs. the 65+ watts required for conventional recessed lights) and will last 15+ years. Putting all the math together at the current electric rates, assuming 8 hours of usage each day (my wife stays at home and I can’t trust the kids to turn off the lights!), the total cost of purchase and usage after three years is $4,079 for conventional recessed lights, and $3,867 for the Cree lights. That’s when we break even. Project that out to eight years and the conventional lights (keep in mind we’ve been replacing bulbs all the time!) come in at $7,761 versus the Cree lights at $4,445.

Now that is a beautiful light!

Advertisements

7 Responses to The Cree LR6 – It Really Is That Good!

  1. Hello, Dave,

    I am writing an article on the experience people and businesses are having when they switch to LED lights. You were referred to me by Fleishman-Hillard International Communications, who works for CREELedRevolution. Apparently you purchased LED lights from them, and would have the experience with LEDs that I am looking for.

    Would it be possible for me to interview you by phone? If so, please let me know when would be a convenient time to talk, and at what number I can reach you.

    Thanks very much!

    • davehultin says:

      Hi Sally,

      I’d be more than happy to share my story about the Cree lights! I’m in Central time, my preference would be to call either during my lunch break (typically 11:30 to noon), or towards the end of my day (I generally wrap up around 5:00 p.m.). I can be available during the lunch time most days with a one-day warning. The end of the day sometimes gets trickier with my kids’ schedules, but can also work.

      What time zone are you in?

      Dave

  2. davehultin says:

    Sally, I’d be happy to share a few moments of phone time with you! I’ll e-mail with the info off-line.

    Thanks,
    Dave

  3. Thanks Dave! I would really like just a few moments of your time. I am in Arizona, which is the same as Pacific time, for the next few months, anyway. Please feel free to call me anytime at 602-502-5818. I look forward to hearing from you soon!

    Sally

  4. Pingback: North Dakota homeowner is happy his Cree LED lights don’t have “Star Wars light saber effect” « Cree LED Revolution Blog

  5. Pingback: The Energy Geek Video 2: LED Recessed Light Retrofit « Ted's Energy Tips

  6. Pingback: The End | Dave Hultin

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: